Strong Gust bring down trees in the Peninsula
Early February brought some extreme conditions through the Monterey County. Big strong winds had uprooted local trees and caused thousands of dollars’ worth of damage. Powerlines were taken down, cars, campers, and rooftops were also victims to the force of the winds. Here at SERVPRO of Marina/North Salinas we want you to always be prepared for any of the local extreme weather conditions that come through our area. Fallen trees or flying objects at the mercy of high powered, winds can cause major leaks or damages to your roof that lead to water or mold damage. If your home experienced roof damage and you are afraid of present or possible chances of water or mold damage call SERVPRO of Marina/North Salinas at (831) 275-1901.
Here are some future steps that you can take to make sure your home is as safe from high powered winds as possible.
- Have a building professionally inspect and install specially designed metal connectors that are appropriate for your roof type.
- Roof- Make sure the roof sheathing is properly installed. From the attic check to make sure the nails penetrate the rafters or trusses
- Windows and Doors- In the event of an emergency, permanent storm shutters can be quickly and easily closed to protect the windows.
- Yard- Trim the trees around your house that could pose a threat by falling or hitting your home. Put away any yard furniture, barbecue grills, tools, toys, and anything else that could become a flying missile.
- Garage Door- There are fitted bracing kits available to provide additional support.
- Weather Stripping- Remove and replace all weather strips underneath all windows or doors that appear to be old, cracking, or worn out.
- Cover Vents- Cover all the vents that are within the home, such as heating and cooling vents.
- Replace Siding- All the siding outside the home that seems to be worn should also be replaced
- Insulation- If it is an old home the insulation could be old and less productive than it used to be, replacing the insulation in your home can help in the event of a storm.