Steps you can take in a wildfire
Facts brought to you by the US Forest Service
- Remain calm.
- Flammable materials such as wood move in safe place away from the house.
- Back vehicles into the garage facing the outside, and roll up all the windows. Never try to find shelter inside your vehicle.
- Close the garage door, but leave it unlocked. If electric, disconnect it so that the door can be opened manually.
- Open the entrance of your yard in order to facilitate the access of the fire fighters and vehicles.
- Shut off any fuel tank and gas cylinder.
- Close all exterior vents. Close all exterior doors (don´t lock them) and windows.
- Attach pre-cut plywood panels to the exterior of windows and glass doors.
- Make sure that all garden hoses are connected to faucets, and attach a nozzle set on “spray”
- Prop a ladder against the house so fire fighters have easy access to the roof
- Tune in to a local radio station and listen for instructions
- Make sure all family members are in the same room of the house.
- After the passing of the fire get out of the house and extinguish immediately small fires. For any smoke, water or fire damage cleanup call SERVPRO of Marina/North Salinas (831) 275-1901